Home: the place and period this site covers.
Freedom and work: When Prince George was a new city, young people had more responsibility and more freedom than young people do today.
Family: Nothing has more effect on children than their family life.
- Some problems reflect the times
- Toys have always been popular
- What's new is the definition of "news"
Community: Children are affected by the people and events around them.
- Growing a community takes time
- The organized outdoors
- Hard time hit everyone
- First Nations students were mistreated
- Parents had money. Kids didn't.
Activities: How children spent their free time in organized and unorganized activities including sports.
- Escaping town was easy as opening a book.
- "People made their own entertainment"
- New activities for young people
- Connaught Hill Park used to have a ski jump
- Swimming meant rivers
- Skating has always been popular
Health: Parents used to have more health problems to worry about. Many families didn't have all the children survive to become adults.
Church: Churches had a social role as well as a religious one, organizing activities from picnics to Scouting groups.
School: Why schools got started, and how they were different from today.
Conclusion: Since the period covered by this site, things have kept changing, and they'll keep changing.