The Early Days: Forest Use in the Fraser-Fort George Region

 

Flat Cars with Logs

  A sawmill and planar were built in 1923 at the Fraser backwater at Shelley, and the Canadian National Railway constructed a spur line from the railroad to the McLean mill site for loading and shipping lumber by boxcar. Flat cars were loaded with logs, then shunted to the sawmill. The train engine hauled the flat cars back to the logging camp in the forest. About 1925, a log haul by railcars was established by constructing a spur line to serve Camp #3, and a dump site was established at the sawmill by constructing a trestle out over the water

 

History Hall

Home