The Early Days: Forest Use in the Fraser-Fort George Region
McLean Lumber Co. Ltd., Camp #2 at Horseshoe Hill, 1927
|The workers who harvested the trees lived in
logging camps near their work site. Generally they stayed for the season, from freeze-up
to break-up, or for the summer season. The buildings were usually built out of logs.
Typically there would be a 30-3 man bunkhouse, a kitchen/dining room, blacksmith shop,
barn, outhous, meathouse, and an office/commissary house. Some of the logging and
sawmilling tasks required special skills, most of which were developed, along with muscles
and endurance, on the job. Hours were long. During the 1920s and 1930s, the McLean sawmill
ran 10 hours per day, 6 days a week, with Sundays off.
Some of the people in this picture are Fred St. Arnold (foreman), Ted Falkner (scaler), Jhn Gavryluk, Gus Schalberg, Joe Delac, Jack Crowe, Allen Seymour, Augtie Baker, Louis Sand, George Jail, Walter Jail, and Patrick John.