One and two room schools
The first one room school was soon replaced with a larger one, then with more schools, then a high school in Prince George. But in 1926 the school at Hutton Mills, a town of 900 about 105 kilometres east of Prince George was two rooms. When Fanny Kinny began teaching at the Fraser Flats school in 1927 it was one room, made of logs and had 16 pupils from grades one through eight.
Small schools with more than one grade in a classroom lingered until the 1980s in communities like Penny and Upper Fraser along "the east line" as the towns along the Canadian National Railway east of Prince George is still referred to by longtime residents.